Thursday, February 5, 2009

I've alway wanted HD vision


Yesterday I spent almost 3 hours at the eye doctor.  Anyone who knows me well, knows I HATE the eye dr.  I would much rather spend 3 hours relaxing at the dentist with the gritty feeling in your mouth.  Oh I love the gritty feeling, I feel my teeth are cleaner.  I always hate to eat after I've been to the dentist, I don't like to lose the clean teeth feeling.  I would go to the dentist everyday if I could.  Oh Uncle Bill why don't you live closer!!!!
Anyway, that is not the point of this post.  The point is, the 3 hours I spent at the eye dr were to determine if I could have LASIK or not.  They did about every test on me, I talked with the dr, their counselor and everything.   They did a dry eye test, they like to see a 10 on the litmus paper I was barely at a 1, needless to say all the pinpricks I have felt in my eyes the past few years was due to dry eyes.  Go figure.
Alright back to the HD.  I am not a good candidate for LASIK due to the dry eyes and thin cornea, my prescription is too bad.  They have a new surgery out, it's only been available in the US since 2003 but it has been in Europe since 1995 (should that make me feel better, I don't think so).  The dr. is the only one in the Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill area who performs the surgery.   What surgery is this..................  Implantable Collamer Lens or ICL or known as Implantable Contact lens.   Here is a link to it www.kellyeyecenter.com  you can actually watch one of the surgeries being performed.  You can also watch one done on the Today show but I can't figure out how to get the link here.  If you google ICL on Today Show it will pull on on youtube.   
My question to all those out there, does anyone know anyone who has had this done or themselves have had this done?  Your comments would be greatly appreciated.   
Thanks

6 comments:

aLi said...

that's really interesting Shannon. I wonder if it's a genetic thing b/c my eyes feel dry often, too. Even in Missouri.

I've heard about this surgery, I think you should go for it! I admit, though, I haven't heard that much. But then if you do it then re-cap on it then I will have heard all about it.

:D

Kim-the-girl said...

I'll see if Ethan can give you a call... he is an eye doctor you know. ;) I'm sure he can give you his professional opinion of the surgery... and I'm sure if he was your eye doctor you wouldn't mind spending 3 hours in his chair, right?

Jeni said...

I know Boyd had lasik and he has dry eyes and it was about the worst thing ever for him.
I had lasik...no dry eyes here...and it is the best thing ever...but I guess these weren't answers to your questions...sorry...I don't know anyone who has had the lens implant surgery....I can't wait to hear about what you decide!

Amanda said...

Can you get cool colored lenses put in?

Beckstrand's said...

That would be cool if I could put colored lenses in. I'll have to ask. Yes, Kim tell ethan to give me a call, i'll send you my phone number via the inbox on Facebook. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I HATE! going to the eye doctor too! More than anything. I feel so edgy just thinking about it righ now. I even start to get an attitude before I walk in the door, because I know it is always going to take so long and cost so much! rrrrr.